Saturday, July 31, 2010

Audio: Alphabethead - Zombie Counter



Zombie [Counter]

I think most boys go through that whole ‘zombie/horror’ phase at least once in their lives. Often coinciding with their discovery of the holy trinity – this ain’t bible related, I’m of course referring to the Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead films. I went through this phase during my first year at Uni. One holiday I spent three coffee fuelled weeks watching nothing but zombie and horror flicks and playing Resident Evil ad nauseam. By the first week I had a sleep pattern akin to a vampire and was having living dead hallucinations constantly!

This track is inspired by the films watched during this hazy period; The Beyond, Susperia, Zombi, City of The Living Dead et al. For the opening groove I pictured the trudging march of the living dead. Didn’t realise the whole song was in 5/4 until after the fact. Fitting though - I’m pretty sure that zombies would march in 5/4! Everything except the drums and percussion are played using synth and Mellotron sounds. I layered loads of vinyl crackle and white noise to make it sound ‘weathered’ hopefully hiding the fact that it was made entirely inside a box. Wanted to channel the spirit of Goblin and Fabio Frizzi – don’t think I did either of them justice… Will try again soon, check it out:

Download Zombie [Counter]here

x Alphabethead

No comments:

Post a Comment