Sunday, August 9, 2009

Whats in a name?

So I've recently been thinking of changing my rap name. I'm sort've over using 'Bishop' and have been for a while, plus theres also a number of other people who use the same rap alias e.g Bishop Lamont, Bobby Bishop (who is an actual gospel rapper haha) and Bishop Brigante among others.

I've been juggling between a handful of names (including the likes of 'Vowel Kilma' and 'Sam from Usual Suspects" and 'Sam from Usual Suspects BreakinWreckwordz' to name a few) and I think i'm gonna go with 'Samuel Benjamin'. Theres no overexaggerated mystery or far-fetched tale of triumph behind it, Sam's my first name and Benjamin is my middle name. Simple.

I think in order for an artist to stay fresh they need to keep reinventing themselves creatively and maybe something as simple as a name change could establish a brand new creative platform to work from. I'd like to think I've matured a little bit as a person and of course musically (from 'freedom of choice' and 'lock & load' anyway haha cringe) so Samuel Benjamin is a reflection of that maturation.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. yeah i wanna change my name too! i already decided on a new name but im gonna wait till i got some real nice songs to compliment it then come out like blaow.

    reinventing yourself is all good but i think an even better way for an artist to stay fresh is to continue making new music!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC is the only way out...
    + SAGA and Hambone = Super group.


    BCNZ - the worlds best kept secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i reckon you should make your rap name to "Eddy Boy". you'll get hi fives from every Maori you meet.

    ReplyDelete